This site uses cookies to allow us to give you a better customer experienceRead more
Choose continent:
Choose country:
Choose resort:

Hospitals & Healthcare

Emergency medical care in all hospitals is good. However standards of care in government hospitals can be variable. Both government and private hospitals charge for all services. Private care is expensive.

Precautions & Advice

  • Since June 2010 there has been an increase in the number of reported cases of Leptospirosis (also known as Weil’s disease) including some deaths. Travellers should avoid bathing in rivers or waterfalls as a precaution against infection.
  • Malaysia has periodic problems with air quality reaching hazardous levels because of smoke haze.  For more information on the air quality in Malaysia please visit the website of the Malaysian Department of Environment.
  • Dengue fever, malaria and other mosquito borne illnesses (including chikungunya fever) occur in Malaysia. Dengue Fever is prevalent in all states and serious outbreaks occur from time to time. We recommend that you take precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes, including using insect repellent at all times. There are no vaccinations against these diseases but there are preventative measures that you can take, as advised on the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) website. You should visit your GP to discuss malaria prevention tablets.
  • There are occasional outbreaks of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) across Malaysia.
  • You should exercise normal precautions to avoid exposure to HIV/AIDS. 

Further Information

You should seek medical advice before travelling to Malaysia and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up-to-date.  For further information on vaccination requirements, health outbreaks and general disease protection and prevention you should visit the websites of the National Travel Heath Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) or NHS Fit For Travel or call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.

The information on this page is supplied by the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office. If you do not live in the UK please check with the relevant office in your country of residence for this information.