This site uses cookies to allow us to give you a better customer experienceRead more
Choose continent:
Choose country:
Choose resort:

You will need:

  • Original copies of both birth certificates and passports are needed, along with 4x passport photos. 
  • Both parties must have a statutory declaration stating their marital status from their country’s high commission in Malaysia, or from a local registrar back home. 
  • The relevant decree absolute should either of you have been divorced, or
  • The relevant death certificate if either of you have been widowed. 
  • Two reliable witnesses to attend the ceremony who are over the age of 21.

You will need to be:
  • Over the age of 21 OR...
  • Over the age of 18, with written consent from your respective fathers. 

Further information:
  • The civil authorities will normally need a statement from the British High Commission stating that they have no objection to the proposed marriage. In order for them to issue such letter, they will need all of the documentation detailed above plus the relevant consular fee of RM319 (£65).
  • If you would like your documents to be posted back to you, the cost will be RM 10 (Poslaju). The Poslaju may take up to 3 days to deliver the package. Please do not put cash in the post. The British High Commission can not be responsible for any cash or packages being lost in the post.
  • Once you have obtained the letter from the British High Commission, the Registrar will also require you or your agent to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have the letter legalised. Their contact details are as follows:
Consular Division
Ministry of Foreign Affairs 
Wisma Putra, No. 1
Jalan Wisma Putra
Parcel C, Presint 2
62602, Putrajaya
Tel: (03) 8887 4159
  • To obtain a marriage license from the Registration Office, an application must first be submitted to the District Registration. Further details on this can be found HERE.This license may take up to 21 days to process.
  • The relevant fees are:
    • Marriage Certificate = RM20.00
    • Declaration = RM10.00
  • You must be resident in the country for a minimum of 7 days.
  • Fast tracks can be applied for at the Chief Minister’s Department.
  • Once this license has been granted the marriage ceremony must take place within one month.